Students from outside the EU

Foreign students are allowed to work in the Netherlands if they have a study residence permit and FlexDelft has requested a work permit for them. This applies for foreign students from outside the EEA (European Economic Area) and Switzerland. Once the work permit has been issued and handed over to the student, he/she can start working for a maximum of 16 hours per week.   

To request the work permit, the following procedure applies.

Once you have been appointed by the TU Delft, you have to stop by our office with the following documents:

  • Residence permit
  • BSN number
  • IBAN bank account number

With the information FlexDelft can then request your work permit at the UWV. This process takes a maximum of 5 weeks.

Please bear in mind that until your work permit has been issued, you are legally not allowed to work!

Once we received your work permit we will contact you. From the commencing date till the expiry date you can then declare your hours, with a maximum of 16 hours per week.

Caution: Do not declare your hours outside the permit validity period and never more than 16 hours per week!


Health insurance

Every Dutch resident is obliged to have a health care insurance. If you are only studying in the Netherlands it is not required to be insured in by a Dutch Insurance company. However if you start working in the Netherlands, you are obliged to have a Dutch health insurance. This also holds for part-time or flexible work. If you were to work without being insured, you could get a fine.

When are you obliged to be insured? The basic insurance is obliged by law for:

  • A non-Dutch student with a part-time job
  • An EU/EEA student older than 30 years, not possessing a Health Insurance Card and living in the Netherlands for longer than 1 year
  • A non-EU/EEA student older than 30 years, living in the Netherlands for longer than 1 year

The insurance premium for the basic insurance is a fixed amount that has to be paid directly to the insurance company. This premium is approximately €1.100 per year. Sucsez (, TU Delft's healt care mediator can assist you in finding the suitable heatl care insurance for your situation.